Just a camping guy

Sunday, August 26, 2007

 

Philbrook lake 08/26/07

I went to a place called Philbrook Lake this weekend. It is just north of Paradise. The place looked pretty nice but the water was way down. I am going to write PG&E and American Land and Leisure about what happened and will include their replies if I get them.

The campground appears to split into an upper and lower campground. I pulled in the upper and saw a nice stack of firewood and decided on my spot. I went up to entrance to get my fee envelope and the vault said not to deposit anything into it and that the camp host would stop by and pick it up. Having been at some campgrounds where the hosts were elderly it made sense.

Right up from me 2 spots were marked off with one piece of yellow caution tape. After being here for a few hours and not seeing a camp host, this guy drives up and through the tape. His unleashed dog hops out the back. At first I am thinking it is some local who taped off the spots. He then pulls out a chain saw and I pull out my camera. He didn't have a front plate so I walked up by him and shot a picture of his plate from the back. He asked me what I was doing and I told him. He said he worked for the camp host, then that his dad was the camp host. I said well then it shouldn't be a problem. The guy freaks out saying he is going to call the sheriff and drives off in his truck.

I go back to making toothpicks to start the fire and this guy comes racing back up with two other guys. One could have been his father. At first I thought they were going to jump me but I had the hatchet in my hand and they thought the better of it. The older starts ranting about how PG&E pays him to cut the wood and do I want names of people with PG&E. He then shouts that it is none of my f'ing business or concern what goes on in the campground.

I am trying to tell the guy if that is the case then it isn't a problem. I also tried to tell him that I have seen too many people do resource damage before and taking pictures of it will usually cause it to stop. He then told the younger one to go back to what he was doing. I think he was either drunk or stoned. He went back over to the site and spent about 5 minutes using the chainsaw. I don't think the guy was the camp host.

What I was expecting and got for a reply was like I was doing something wrong. I was expecting a reply from the younger guy something like this: "I am working for the camp host and will have him stop by your site." From the older guy/dad I was expecting something like: "Thanks for your concern but he is working for me."

I am curious as to how other folks would have handled this situation. Tell me how you would have done it differently.

What makes me think that this guy isn't the camp host is that no one came by to pick up my fees. I was the only person in the upper campground the whole weekend so I really didn't have a chance to chat with the other folks staying in the lower one.

Well that was Friday afternoon.

I was really wore out this weekend. I am not sure why so I spent most of my time sleeping and stoking the fire. I tried to take some pictures and will have to get some of the sunset over those trees.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.











































Thanks again for stopping by.



exercise equipment

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I can answer a couple questions about philbrook for you. The lake is owned by PG&E for hydro power supply, as such they draw it down every year, not much that will ever change there. The idiots you ran in to were the Galia's (unsure of spelling) and yes, unfortunately, they are the camp hosts. I have a cabin up there so I am pretty familiar with them. Definately not the sharpest tools in the shed. It is too bad your experience up there was tainted. Unfortunately with the idiot camphosts come their idiot friends, mostly on motorcycles and quad runners. They have pretty much ruined alot of peoples summers up there.
 
U7Tgrj Very good blog! Thanks!
 
oBKfKK Nice Article.
 
Please write anything else!
 
Magnific!
 
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
 
Wonderful blog.
 
I love the sunset photo's! And the moon photo's! It is too bad that the weekend was tainted by such unruly camp hosts! Keep taking the photo's!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   August 2008   June 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?