Just a camping guy

Monday, May 28, 2007

 

Salt Springs/ Airport Flat 05/28/07

Well here it is Memorial Day weekend already. I got off to an earlier than normal start time on Thursday night. I was suppose to run lead and meet a Hummer group at this place called Airport Flat. It is off Ice House Rd and Hwy 50. I had never been up there before and was thinking it was dirt roads and it would be easy to find a spot to camp. If I would have known it was paved the whole way I would have said Thursday night was too late to grab a spot for the weekend.

Not knowing that I drove up there. It was a nice drive and the moon was bright. I wish I would have stopped to take some pictures or drove it during the day. When I got up there it was packed full of Rv's and people. I sat for awhile looking at my maps trying to find an alternate place. I decided to head to Salt Springs because I was almost sure I could find a place on a late Thursday night. I called up my contact person and left a message that the place was packed and where I was headed. I will wait and see if they show up.

I went back down to 50 and went east to Silver Lake Road. It dead ended into Mormon Emigrant Road which I took to Hwy 88. Man, what scenery. There was still some drifts a few feet deep and I was well above 7000 feet. I am going to do some research and run that trail.

Well I made it down to Salt Springs about 4am and set up camp. I have sort of been dragging butt today from lack of sleep but have had a good time. I have been meeting some nice people and more keep rolling in every few minutes. I went out hiking earlier and found some secluded spots that I have made notes on for future visits. I saw a few wildflowers today and lots of butterflies. The flowers are still blooming so I don't think I missed them at the higher elevations. I am at about 3600 feet here. The butterflies are just so active and never stop long enough for me to get a picture.

The BUB seems to be running great after I hooked those spark plugs back up. I also got a new tire this week along with a much better tire gauge than the one I spent 10 bucks on last week.

Well time to start on dinner. Fajitas tonight. I will post more later.

Dinner was great. My belly is full for awhile. I still have some steaks and a tri-tip for the rest of the weekend along with other goodies.

I know I use to complain about TMS but after looking at some of the folks this weekend I realized I wasn't as bad as them. I am still trying to pare down but it is getting better. I have been sharing my ideas and trying to learn other peoples ideas to make it a better experience.

This place has turned into tent city. I will have to shoot some video later. I got up around 6 this morning and took a hike. It was nice and peaceful. It sounds like a small town now. I may go down to the dam later to go fishing. I just looked over at another campsite and it is beer thirty already at 8:30 in the morning. I guess they will in bed early tonight.

I made bacon and eggs this morning and put some of that hot sauce on them. Man, that stuff is hot. Tasty though.

The place is starting to sound like a playground now. Kids are running and screaming all over the place. I am glad it is only this crowded a few times a year. Usually on the long holiday weekends. Labor Day I will have to make sure to go someplace out of the way and on the back trails.

Speaking of out of the way places I have been looking at my topo program more and have been finding some interesting spots. If they are any good or not will of course have to be found out in person. I need to learn how to download the tracks on to my GPS unit so I can find them at night. If I ever win the lottery I am going to get satellite service.

The day looks like it is going to be nice and hot. I am in a pretty good spot that I can get in the shade easy if need be. I will probably go hiking again later and try to find some photo ops.

I have pretty much hanging out with this one group. 4 generations out camping. They have been coming up here for 12 years now. They fed me good also. I worked for it though. We went hiking for firewood and I made a few trips and carried a few long logs of oak. They were playing some card games I had never seen before so I just sat back and watched.

Not really sure what is in the works today. It is just before 8 and the kids are just starting to get up. It is a little chilly in the morning. The water wasn't as cold as I thought it would be.

I have been wondering why I haven't seen those Geico commercials on tv lately. It looks like he got hit by a car.

Well dinner was grilled fish, fried fish, tri-tip, sausage, and chicken. I think my belly is still full. I sat around with a few of the kids and told them of the animals I had seen on their posters up there. I also pulled out my binoculars and let them look around.

I am back at home after a long and fun weekend. Thanks to my new friends I had a wonderful time. I told them I would get up there early for Labor Day.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

























































































































Thanks again for stopping by.


exercise equipment

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
sUoLgl The best blog you have!
 
dtLpR6 Thanks to author.
 
Magnific!
 
Thanks to author.
 
actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   January 2007   February 2007   March 2007   April 2007   May 2007   June 2007   July 2007   August 2007   September 2007   October 2007   November 2007   December 2007   January 2008   March 2008   April 2008   May 2008   June 2008   August 2008   June 2009  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?